Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Great news for the French...
By Kris Salo

I was just reading old eye-opener rants by myself and Rob, and
realized, after Marketers the French are the most criticized. It makes
me think about this new bridge that was built here:

I don't know if you have read anything about this, or heard about
it...as most of you get your news exclusively from Fox News, I would
assume it wasn't mentioned. Anyway in Millau, a town about 45 minutes
from here, they have built the world's tallest bridge. It is 1200 feet
or something like that...It's 53 feet higher than the Eiffel towner...
-Historical note: the town of Millau is where Jose Bove methodically
deconstructed a McDonalds restaurant.

My favorite headline was from MSNBC: "France claims to have built
highest bridge." The thing is that height is a very objective
thing...Therefore it's either the highest or not...anyway I
digress...This is a great subject of pride for the French. You can not
turn on the TV or look at a newspaper without being told how this
amazing feat has been done in France, by the French. Chirac was at the
opening ceremony today, talking about how this shows the greatness of
the French and how they are a culture of leaders (or something like
that...I forget the exact words, but that's the main jist of it).
Anyway, the kicker on this...The architect, well he was, how do I put
this so it's clear...Ummm, well not French. He was British. So right,
it was a French company that followed the instructions written by a
Brit. This is like me sending Rob a recipe for foie gras, him making
it, and then claiming that it was an American feat of cooking...

I really think the French are the Chihuahuas of the world today. Tiny,
frightened, shaking, and barking at everything that they can...